Wednesday, December 5, 2007

spice up your jailbait

Last night I had the unique pleasure of seeing the Spice Girls reunion concert at the HP Pavillion. It was a unique pleasure because I'd grown accustomed to smaller venues with a moderately hipster crowd (The ungodly amount of Ben Harper shows I've seen is probably my poppiest concert experience) alas the Love Robot and I did not know what to expect, we were hoping for the 20-40 year old queer delegation to represent but instead we were surrounded by what could be a future casting call for Girls Gone Wild: Silicon Valley (Extra Silicon edition!) and initially we were quite uncomfortable.

My weirdness can be attributed to a ridiculous feeling of old ladyness and a nostalgic need to reclaim my OG-Girl Power-90's feminist background. The Love Robot's awkwardness probably had to do with the thousands of scantily clad girls half his age divided by the fact that he was there with his 22 year old girlfriend that consistently and teasingly applauded his skills at eye aversion. Don't quote me on that though, it's just a hunch.

The show was just the campiness I needed on the dawn of my college graduation, a time when I've been taking myself and my life far too seriously.

Highlights include:

A ringing in my ears that currently remains despite the fact that I wore earplugs.......check .

At least seven costume changes, all of them absolutely fabulous......check

Geri without her trademark tits or ass.......check

A crowd of girls who will leave the show with body issues because it looks as though their pop idols, sans Emma who looked normal and fabulous, survive solely on well, spices.........check.

Horribly cranked up music to mask their voices......check.

The only semi-strong voices belonging to both Melanies, a fact that has comfortingly not changed over the years.....check

At least two freakishly flexible manho backup dancers per girl........check

My early-adolescent girlcrush on Emma.......check

A condom reference that I never noticed in the lyrics to 2 become 1 (be a little bit wiser baby, put it on, put it on) .....check

Merch booths that made an absolute killing.....check

A slight awkwardness due to the fact that these girls are mothers........check

A surprising amount of lesbian innuendo........check

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Sounds great, wish I had a ticket.

If I someday have a baby girl I'm going to name her Emma, and with the surname B she'll be Emma B (same as Emma Bunton) and I'll nickname her Baby Spice. Because she's a baby.