Saturday, April 28, 2007

hustlin

So I'm heading home on the 22, in the back four seats that face each other in twos and twos. The double date section. I always gravitate towards that part. A group of guys get on and now it's really crowded. Dude next to me has this velvet flat board on his lap and as soon as I see a bottle cap, I get out a book because that's whatever I do when I get the feeling somebody is going to bug me with anything other than a hello.

Sure enough, he's playing the nut in the bottle cap game. His boys are way too eager to play, like this is the very thing they were hoping would happen so they could make a Kentucky Derby style killing. Dude says that ladies can play for free and he ropes in this lady across from us. She picks correctly and he gives her a dollar, then tells her that she's got to pull out a dollar to try again and double up. She's confused, says...."I'm sorry....I don't know" and I realize that she's Italian (I think) and probably visiting. He gets her to pull out another dollar.

The guy next to him puts forty on it and wins. Dude gives him two twenties, asks her to pick again really forcefully. She does. He hands her forty. Then tells her to pull out another forty. Again, she has no idea what the fuck is going on.

At this point, I have to step in. If it were anyone else, I'd let it happen. Any San Franciscan should know better by now. But she was obviously scared and confused. So while she's looking through her wallet for money, I say "Sweetheart-" she looks at me and I shake my head vigorously and say "No. Don't. Put your money away." She does and gives me a thankful nod. At this point, it's time to get off.

When I get off at McAllister, the dude and his boys also get off. Last thing I want is for these guys to follow me to my place, so I stand my ground and get ready for whatever it is they've got to give to me. Sure enough, dude steps right in front of me and his boys surround me like a goddamn pack of wolves.

Dude- What the fuck is your problem???
Me- What the fuck is YOUR problem? Girl didn't even speak English.
Dude- That aint your business.
Me- You show up, loud as shit and bothering everyone, it is my business.
Dude- Fuck you! Fucking bitch! I bet I hustled you once!
Me- Please. Like I would fall for your tired ass shit. You should think of something more original...or get a fucking job. You obviously have enough energy to assemble a crew and harass a girl on a street corner.
(at this point, I braced myself to get knocked the fuck out. He raised his hand but one of his boys took pity and said they should go)
Dude said something, I don't remember what.
Me- Look, you're gonna do what you feel you've gotta do. Normally I wouldn't have said shit but that was sleazy, even for a guy like you.
Dude- Alright, whatever. Next time you better watch your mouth.
Me- Fuck that. You've got your boys working for you. She had me looking our for her.

His boys get him to leave. They turned the corner and I went home, shaking the whole time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you were shaking! One of those situations where you can sass on adrenalin for a minute and a half, tops, then you're a mess. Always gotta finish the confrontations and walk away before the adrenalin runs out.

Anders Howard said...

wish someone said something to me when these guys hustled me!